Step 9 to Selling Your Home: Working with a Title Company
The title company typically performs the following:
- Review the contract to ensure all terms are within guidelines of HUD (Department of Housing and Urban Development). If needed, the necessary changes will be made to comply with HUD. This will help avoid any last minutes issues with the lender issuing a final loan approval for the Buyer.
- Order title search on the property, prepare title commitment and provide a copy to the Lender/Mortgage Broker.
- * Should any “clouds” appear on title, the title rep will trouble shoot these items so that a “clear” title can be provided to the required parties.
- Order the various certifications, as needed.
- Order a payoff on any outstanding loans on the property. The funds needed to pay off the loan will then be sent via over night mail service the day of the closing to the appropriate party.
- Cooperate with the Buyer’s lender to provide any documentation necessary in order to expedite the Buyers final loan approval. This includes but is not limited to a copy the sales contract, declarations & by-laws, title commitment, condominium insurance certificate, etc.
- Preparation of all the necessary legal documents which include the Bill of Sale, ALTA Statement, Affidavit of Title, Power of Attorney, 1099 Statement, Warranty Deed and Closing Statement.
- Obtain the local City transfer stamp which is required in order for the Warranty Deed to be recorded, which is the document of record that legally transfers ownership from the Seller to the Buyer.
- Schedule the closing date, time and location with the parties. Provide email notification to all parties of the closing date, time and location.
- Facilitate closing to finalize the transaction between the parties, resolve any remaining unresolved contract issues, review and sign “Settlement Statement” on Sellers behalf.
Condominium or Towhhome – Additional Services provided:
- Order 22.1 Disclosure, financial, meeting minutes and paid assessment letter from the Association/Management Company.
*These documents are contractually required to be provided to the Buyer of the condo or townhome.
- Obtain sales package (if applicable) from Association/Management Company and distribute accordingly to the necessary parties.
- Obtain a copy of the condominium certificate of insurance and provide to Buyer’s lender, as this is required for all loan approvals.
Single Family Home, Towhhome or Multi Dwelling Building - Additional Services provided:
- Order and provide Zoning Certification.
- Order and provide Residential Boundary Survey.
- Order and provide Building Registration (only applicable to buildings with 5 or more units).
The above list is IF everything goes perfectly. If it doesn’t and the contract needs to be cancelled, earnest money needs to be refunded, etc. the attorney will handle these items as well, usually for no additional charge. This is why it’s crucial to have a good Title Company as part of your team.
HOW MUCH DOES THE TITLE COMPANY COST?
Typically, in Florida, a title company charges between $300 – $600 depending on the time of the year and how busy they are. You do not pay them up front. Rather their fee is part of your closing cost and is paid at closing. If a contract is cancelled due to an inspection issue, etc. you generally do not have to pay the attorney.
OUR FAVORITE TITLE COMPANIES
We work with 3 title companies almost exclusively. They are TRIED and TRUE professionals. We have over 10 years experience with each of them. We know how THEY work and they know how WE work! It makes a great partnership and you will get outstanding service. We don't get a PENNY for recommending them.
You can find them here: https://www.movetocapecoral.com/buyers/preferred-vendors/
Email them and see what their current fees are, who responds the quickest and which one you like the most. We would be happy to suggest one that we think might fit your style/personality too.
This should all be done BEFORE a contract comes in! That way you know who your attorney is going to be once we have an executed real estate contract.
It is all about putting together a great TEAM!
GO BACK: to Main Page